Monday, February 5, 2007

They deserved it

With fans like these, who needs fans?

I'm typing this because I don't want to drive today. I think the Saipan roads might be a tad more dangerous than usual. All you can drink at nine in the morning? Shiver. The reason I used to stay home on government paydays.

You'd think these hotels would provide a bus service with their party hoopla. I'm sure there are a few drivers standing idle.

Not that I hate football. It's a great social lubricant: getting to know somebody new or changing the subject after a heated debate. This is the first Super Bowl I've missed since we started getting them live. I forget when that was, but it's probably repressed because of the 'can't even beat the spread' Bills.

Most true fans are knowledgeable, to boot, unless they follow the Cowboys, the Trojans or the Irish. Sometimes you have to admit there's just no hope. Strangely, I find myself giving even those teams another chance if they've been lucky enough to beat truly deserving teams like the 49'ers or the Ducks. It makes it that much more satisfying when we stomp them the next year.

But, over the years, I've found that you have to be a True Believer to wake up at three or four in the morning. It doesn't help that cornflakes taste lousy with beer.

I'd rather catch the score and highlights, then watch the replay at a civilized time with a beer in front of me. With any luck some newbie will want to bet on the game.

No comments: