Sunday, July 13, 2008

The war that nobody came to

That Public Utilities Commission meeting Saturday could easily have turned into a zoo. I'll bet the Commissioners were wondering whether the Chamber of Commerce conference room was large enough.

Nobody came.

I take that back. There was a quorum and a couple of people watched, but where were Greg and Ed and the countless others who have been after the Commonwealth Utilities Corporation?* Why, it might even had made a nice filler story for the media.

Legislative oversite is fine, but this is the agency tasked with setting the price of your power. Its meetings have a lot more to do with dealing with CUC's problems than standing on some government lawn with a sign.

I know. Meetings are boring, like wading through the newspaper ads announcing them.

But there is important information in the ads; it's why I still buy newspapers instead of reading them online. Besides, I don't want to miss the occasional gem, like the CNMI Department of Labor announcing that Labor Case 02-274 will be heard at 11 a.m. July 18. "Not on file" has a claim against "Not on file". I expect the wisdom of Solomon in this one, with nobody winning and nobody losing.

Check Monday's second notice: the time and date may change.

* Covering my glass house: Saturday is a work day for me. I wanted to go, but couldn't break loose.

2 comments:

Bruce A. Bateman said...

I buy the papers too. For one thing you can't cut an article out of a crt tube. Ads, as you mentioned, are another reason, Plus there are a lot of articles the wbmaster just does not put up on the site and a lot of photos too.

The major reason I support the newspapers with my subscritions is just that... support. Advertising fees and subcription fees are what keep them in business.

Saipan Writer said...

I couldn't believe the Labor ad in today's paper listing 2006 cases that will be dismissed by "respondent" employers' names and NOT including the complaining employees' names!

Great. Like that is adequate notice.