Saturday, July 12, 2008

Steal this book

Abbie Hoffman would be proud. Steal This Book is available online. Free, of course.

There are about 1.2 million others, according to the World eBook Fair. Not including A Boy and His Dog, which I was trying to find for my brother. I needn't have bothered, he tells me, he'd run across some filings that showed Harlan Ellison is extremely protective of his copyrights.

Ah well, I downloaded 1984 just to see how it worked, though I detest reading anything long on a computer.

I got there through Project Gutenberg. It's an interesting site; you edit a scanned page and it's reviewed by others. Eventually there's another book in the collection. I tried it, and I'm deciding whether I can deal with another internet time waster.

The Fair runs from July 4 to August 4.