Thursday, October 23, 2008

Channeling history

It's easy to get caught up in the politics, positions and attacks of this Presidential election. Lately I've found myself skipping over to Ben Smith's blog for his little stories.

He goes for the splashy big picture, but I visit daily for the impressionistic snippets he collects. My current favorite:

For me the most moving moment came when the family in front of me, comprising probably 4 generations of voters (including an 18 year old girl voting for her first time and a 90-something hunched-over grandmother), got their turn to vote. When the old woman left the voting booth she made it about halfway to the door before collapsing in a nearby chair, where she began weeping uncontrollably. When we rushed over to help we realized that she wasn't in trouble at all but she had not truly believed, until she left the booth, that she would ever live long enough to cast a vote for an African-American for president. Anyone who doesn't think that African-American turnout will absolutely SHATTER every existing record is in for a very rude surprise.


Powerful stuff, whoever you favor. Truthfully, I would have said not in my lifetime until this year. Strangely, I forget. Often. (Without even mentioning that a guy named Barack Hussein Obama could get so far in this murky, malevolent and paranoid post-911 milieu.)

My previous favorite, probably apocryphal, was about some redneck stereotype watching a game whose wife called out from the door 'Who are we voting for?' and answered 'We're voting for the n***er'.

Oh, and points for John McCain (Are you trying to cost us this election?):




Irrelevant, but I got an email from John McCain! It turns out I won 50,000 pounds in their campaign's London lottery!

2 comments:

Lil' Hammerhead said...

The 50,000 pounds is part of his newest economic recovery plan he unveiled 8 hours ago. He calls it "sprinkler economics". Lottery winners in target communities around the country are paid 50,000 pounds. According to the theory.. they go out and spend it in their communities, providing support for small businesses nationwide. That's the theory anyway. An alternative to "trickle down" economics. We'll all still get hosed in the end I figure. I hear he'll be unveiling a new plan in two days by the way.

Lil' Hammerhead said...

Oh.. almost forgot. The reason for the pounds.. he figures that when you go and trade it for dollars, the bank will collect it's percent on the transaction. Which of course.. will help bolster the banking insitutions. So his theory goes. Something in it for everyone.